A Short History of the Windmill
1807 The windmill is built by Mr Green. a Nottingham baker in Sneinton, a village just outside the town of Nottingham. It is the largest and most powerful of the twenty or so windmills in and around the town.
1817 Mr Green builds a fine house next to the windmill and his family move here, away from the noisy, overcrowded town.
1828 Mr Green’s son George, whilst working at the “tedious and uninstructive details of common business” publishes his now famous Essay on the Application of Mathematical Analysis to the Theories of Electricity and Magnetism”
1829 Old Mr Green dies and George takes over the business. The family has prospered, owning property in Sneinton and Nottingham.
1833 George Green lets the milling business and the family house and becomes a student at Caius College, Cambridge.
1841 George Green dies in Sneinton, aged 47 years.
c.1862 The mill ceases work. The sails are removed and the windmill is abandoned
1919 The mill is bought by a Nottingham solicitor, Oliver Hind. He has the cap of the mill covered in copper sheeting to keep out the weather. The mill is let to H Gell and Co. manufacturers of boot and furniture polish.
1979 The derelict mill tower is bought by the George Green Memorial Fund and presented to the City of Nottingham. Restoration begins to provide a memorial to the genius of George Green.
1985 The windmill and Science Centre open to the public
2012 The Friends of Green’s Mill begin to take over management of the windmill and science centre on behalf of the City of Nottingham.
Once again the mill wins top prize in the Soil Association Organic Food awards.